Ambassador for: Coalition Wild; international program (involved since 2015)
Ambassador for: Get to Know-your wild neighbours program; international program 2007-2017
2017 Vancouver, B.C.
One Day drawing Workshop with Master wildlife artist, Terry Isaac
October 10th-15 2010 Hollyhock Educational Retreat Centre, Cortes Island, B.C.
Robert Bateman Master Artists Seminar
(Invited personally by Robert Bateman)
2015/2016 Academic Year University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB
Open Studies in Archaeology & Native American Studies
May 2014 University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB
Bachelor of Science (Environmental Science)
April 2010 Lakeland College, Vermilion, AB
Wildlife & Fisheries Conservation Diploma
Exhibitions & Special Projects
Federation of Canadian Artists: "2021 Vancouver Salon Exhibition" - Federation Gallery, Vancouver BC
June 14th - 27th, 2021 (Group Exhibition)
- "Cow Elk After Summer Rain" and "Top of the Coulee - Pronghorn" were juried into this group exhibition.
International Guild of Realism (IGOR): "Spring Salon Online Juried Exhibition" - Exhibited on the official IGOR website (www.realismguild.com)
March 20th - May 20th, 2021 (Group Exhibition)
- "Into Focus - Elk" Was juried into this exhibition in the "Wildlife/Animals" category
Federation of Canadian Artists: "2021 Artists Choice Exhibition" - Federation Gallery, Vancouver BC
February 8th - 21st, 2021 (Juried Group Exhibition)
- "Badlands and Cottontail" was juried into this group exhibition.
Colin and The Grassland Series 2020 Exhibition - Helen Schuler Nature Centre Community Gallery, Lethbridge AB
September 2nd - January 2021 (Solo Exhibition)
- 30 recent works created between 2016-2020 on exhibit including two taxidermy mounts Colin created from specimens received from the Royal Alberta Museum.
International Guild of Realism (IGOR): 15th Annual Juried Exhibition 2020 - Principle Gallery, Charleston South Carolina
October 2nd - 31st, 2020 (Group Exhibition)
- "Great Horned Owl Fledgling" was juried into this international group exhibition.
Artists For Conservation (AFC): Traveling International Exhibit of Nature in Art Exhibit - VanDusen Botanical Gardens, Vancouver; James Museum of Western and Wildlife Art, St. Petersburg Florida.
October 2020 VanDusen Botanical Gardens, Vancouver; March-May 2021 James Museum of Wildlife and Western Art, St.Petersburg Florida (Group Exhibition)
- World's top conservation themed art exhibit, exhibiting the work of some of the world's leading wildlife artists to date. The painting "Enigmatic Places" was juried into this 2020 exhibit.
Federation of Canadian Artists: "2020 Limitless Exhibition" - Online Exhibition
August 1st - 31st, 2020 (Juried Group Exhibition)
- "Grassland Harmonies" was juried into this online exhibition and was awarded 2nd place out of over 100 juried works in the exhibition.
International Guild of Realism (IGOR): "Winter Salon Online Juried Exhibition" - Exhibited on the official IGOR website (realismguild.com)
March 20th-May 20th, 2020 (Group Exhibition)
-"Grassland Dreams" was juried into this exhibition in the "figurative" category
Federation of Canadian Artists: "2020 Active Member Exhibition" - Federation Gallery, Vancouver B.C.
January 7th - January 19th, 2020 (Group Exhibition)
-"On the Ridge - Musk Ox" was juried into this group exhibition held by the Federation of Canadian Artists
Artists For Conservation: International Exhibit of Nature in Art Exhibit - Vancouver, then traveled to Sonora Desert Museum, AZ
September 2019 (Group Exhibition)
- World's top conservation themed art exhibit, exhibiting the work of some of the world's leading wildlife artists to date. The painting "Into Focus" was juried into the 2019 exhibit.
"Colin Starkevich and The Grassland Series Featuring: A Decade Painting the Plains" - Akokiniskway Gallery, Rosebud AB
June 14th- August 31st 2019 (Solo Exhibition)
-A ten year anniversary exhibition of The Grassland Series exhibiting a variety of works created in this series over the past 10 years by Colin since the conception of The Grassland Series in 2009.
Federation of Canadian Artists: "2019 Wildlife Exhibition" - Federation Gallery, Vancouver B.C.
April 16th - 28th 2019 (Group Exhibition)
- "On the Winter Prairie" and "Peaceful Waters" were juried into this group exhibition held by the Federation of Canadian Artists.
International Guild of Realism (IGOR): "Winter Salon Online Juried Exhibition" - Exhibited on the official IGOR, American Art Collector, and Quality Collections of Fine Art websites.
March 20th - May 20th 2019 (Group Exhibition)
- "Grassland Harmonies" was juried into this exhibition.
Federation of Canadian Artists: "Active Members Exhibition" - Federation Gallery, Vancouver B.C.
January 2019 (Group Exhibition)
- "Beating the Odds - Swift Fox" was juried into this group exhibition held by the Federation of Canadian Artists.
Federation of Canadian Artists: "Scenes From Western Canada" - Federation Gallery, Vancouver B.C.
August 27th - September 9th 2018 (Group Exhibition)
- "Navigation - Pronghorn" was juried into this group exhibition held by the Federation of Canadian Artists.
Artists For Conservation: "Art for Conservation" annual international juried exhibition of nature in art (Group Exhibition)
Touring exhibit - Vancouver, B.C (August 2018); Sonora Desert Museum, Arizona, U.S. (September 22nd-November 25th, 2018)
- Worlds top conservation themed art exhibit, exhibiting work from some of the worlds leading wildlife artists. A portion of all sales in this exhibit are donated to support conservation efforts. "Intimate Reminder - Burrowing Owls" was juried into this exhibition.
Artists For Conservation: "Art for Conservation" annual international juried exhibition of nature in art, Vancouver B.C.
November 2017 (Group Exhibition)
- "Emergence - Pronghorn fawn" was juried into the Live exhibit, and "Grassland Harmonies" was juried into the online virtual exhibit.
"Precious Frogs Exhibition" Science World Vancouver, B.C.
September-December 15th 2017 (Group Exhibition)
-Group show raising the awareness of amphibians and amphibian conservation Geared toward supporting the Oregon Spotted Frog recovery teams efforts to conserve amphibians in British Columbia. "Plains Spadefoot Toad" in exhibit.
"Colin Starkevich Featuring: The Grassland Series" Passage & Concourse Galleries in Casa Arts Facility, Lethbridge AB
November 16th 2015-January 9th, 2016 (Solo Exhibition)
-Exhibition featuring 35 originals from The Grassland Series.
"Glimpses of the Grasslands-The Artistic Vision of Colin Starkevich" Royal Alberta Museum, Edmonton, AB
(May 16th-August 23rd September 27th, 2015 - (extended to late September) Solo Exhibition
-Solo Exhibition as a Feature Exhibit at the Royal Alberta Museum, exhibition marks the premier exhibition of The Grassland Series and includes over 60 original works by Colin Starkevich.
Casa (Creating Arts in Southern Alberta) Art Facility, Lethbridge, AB
(November-December 26th 2014) Solo Exhibition
- Exhibition on Show wall near reception desk: Ferruginous Hawk, Bindloss Buck, Eye's on the Road-Rattlesnake, Autumn in the Parkland (for sale), and Childhood Dream.
The Gallery On Main, Lacombe, AB
(April 25th 2014- present) Gallery Representation
- Eight original paintings currently available in this Gallery: Arctic Places, Gyr Falcon, Heading North, The Wanderer (Semipalmated Plover), Signs of Spring-Western Meadowlark, On the Ridge-Musk Ox, On the Move-Grizzly Bear, and Pleasant Surprise-Barn Swallow Chicks.
“Student Art Exhibition, Alberta Arts Days” Sterling Mutuals Inc. Lethbridge, AB
(September 22nd - September 29th 2013) Group Exhibition
- Exhibited 5 paintings along with artwork from 3 other student artists.
TEDx Talks-Chinook High School Theatre, Lethbridge, AB
(January 25th 2013) Group Exhibition
- Exhibited 8 pieces of new and past work outside the theatre where the TEDx talks were held, group exhibition. The TEDx talks were motivational speakers speaking about overcoming challenges and demonstrating talent through art, singing, and playing music.
Solo Exhibit - City Hall, Lethbridge Alberta
(December 7th 2012- January 4th 2013) Solo Exhibition
-Featured 8 pieces of past work on the 3rd level of the City Hall building in Lethbridge, AB.
Mural at Alberta Society for Injured Birds of Prey (Strathcona Raptor Shelter), Strathcona County, AB
(May-July 2012) Special Project
- Mural painted in acrylic depicting Osprey on main wall in lobby area at the Alberta Society for Injured Birds of Prey (Strathcona Raptor Shelter).
“Colin Starkevich Featuring Wildlife Art” Sterling Mutuals Inc., Lethbridge, AB
(March 5th-April 28th 2012) Solo Exhibition
- Exhibition featured wildlife art and plein air paintings, 26 pieces exhibited.
“Student Art Exhibition” Penny Building, Lethbridge, AB
(January 21st-January 29th 2012) Group Exhibition
- 5 paintings: “Marianne’s Portrait”, “Northern Leopard Frog”, “Sturgeon River Goldeneye”, “Morning Solitude”, “Untitled (Grizzly bears)” in group exhibition
“Special Places Exhibit” Yates Memorial Centre Gallery, Lethbridge, AB
(November 9th- January 17th 2011) Group Exhibition
-2 paintings: “Winter Ravens”, and “Heading North” in group exhibition
Bowman Arts Centre, Lethbridge, AB
(September- November 9th 2011) Group Exhibition
-Oil painting: Great Plains Toad, on display in showcase.
Royal Alberta Museum Gift Shop, Edmonton, AB
(June 28th- November 10th 2011)
-Four original paintings exhibited: Coffee Run, Morning Solitude, Sturgeon River Goldeneye, and Northern Leopard Frog.
M.E Lazerte Public High School, Edmonton, AB
(April 2011) Solo exhibit with presentation
-Displayed over 15 pieces of new and past work to students while speaking to them about the challenges and dedication one has to put in to their art work if they want to be a serious artist.
“Nature Fest 2010”, Lethbridge, AB
(October 2010) Group Exhibition
-Displayed: Autumn in the Parkland, The 82nd Street King, Dawn of a Prairie Night, Marianne’s Portrait, American Avocet, and Sturgeon River Goldeneye.
-Spoke about some of my artwork and some of my experiences with nature to encourage others to get outside and enjoy nature.
Artists For Conservation Annual Exhibit Opening Festival - Vancouver, B.C. (November 2017)
- Spoke about my work in The Grassland Series discussing my goals with my work in that series.
Fish Creek Rotary Club - Calgary, AB (April 18th, 2016)
- Spoke about the Get to Know-your wild neighbours program and the opportunities this program provides for young people who have a passion for nature and the arts, ending by speaking about my current work and how my involvement with the program has been one of my supporters over the years.
Helen Schuler Nature Centre - Lethbridge, AB (April 9th, 2016)
At a celebration event hosted by the Rotary East club of Lethbridge and the Get to Know program, I was happy to speak to a youthful audience about finding their passion in life and tying it into their talents to make a positive difference in our natural world, sharing a little of my personal experience about my own artwork and passion for the Grasslands.
Wallace Stegner House-Eastend, SK
(June 22nd, 2015)
-Spoke to the public in backyard of The Wallace Stegner House about my artwork, the Get to Know-your wild neighbours program, and what I have been working on during my stay as artist in residence for the month of June 2015.
Eastend School-Eastend, SK
(June 18th, 2015)
-Spoke to grade 6 and 7 students about my artwork and opportunities for them as young artists through the international Get to Know-your wild neighbours program.
M.E Lazerte Public High School, Edmonton, AB
-Spoke for an 45 minutes to 4 different classes of High School art students about finding your passion in art and excelling at it.
"Get to Know-your wild neighbours" International Unconference, Kelowna, BC
(October 4th 2014)
-Presented a 15 minute presentation about The Grassland Series and what I wish to achieve with the series and why I think the Grasslands are important. I was selected as one of 12 youth (aged 25 and younger) from across North America to present a statement art piece or project at this international Unconference. I was then selected as one of the top 3 presenters and was interviewed by Shaw television in a segment featuring the top 3 presenters from this conference. The segment can be found on my videos page.
“Get to know” Contest Launch Event, Calgary Zoo, AB
- Spoke about my experiences with nature and encouraged youth to enter into the 2012 “Get to Know” Calendar contest.
International Robert Bateman “Get to Know” Unconference, Kelowna, BC
-Spoke about my experiences with the Get to Know program as a contest winner alumni, and honored youth delegate.
Awards, Achievements, & Donations
"American Art Collector" magazine - Small Works in Miniature Feature (November 2018)
-"Among the Shadows - Mule Deer", was featured in this section of the magazine a long with other artists work featured.
"Artist of the Month" Artists For Conservation (September 2018)
- Awarded the artist of the month through the Artists For Conservation organization.
"Southwest Art" magazine editorial - The Art of Canada (October 2016)
- One of 10 artists selected to be featured in the prestigious "Art of Canada" section in this international magazine's special annual collectors edition issue.
"Southwest Art" magazine editorial-The Beauty of Nature(August 2015)
Artist residence at the Wallace Stegner House - Eastend, SK (June 2015)
-Awarded artist's residence for the month of June at the internationally known, Wallace Stegner House. During my stay as artist in residence I worked on creating plein air pieces of the Grasslands region of Canada, as well as worked on fine art pieces and gathered reference material from the surrounding Grasslands for new works to The Grassland Series in the future.
Top presenter at International "Get to Know-your wild neighbours" Unconference, Kelowna, BC (October 4th 2014)
- Selected as one of 12 youth (aged 25 or younger) from North America to present a statement art piece or project. I presented a 15 minute talk about The Grassland Series. I was then selected as one of the top 3 presenters by the panel of judges and was interviewed by Shaw television in a segment they put together about the Unconference. The news segment can be viewed on my videos page.
"Southwest Art" magazine editorial and ad (January 2014)
- As a recent finalist in the 30th annual international artist's competition through "The Artist's Magazine", I have been privileged to have an editorial and ad about my work featured in the January 2014 edition of the prestigious Southwest Art magazine. The editorial and ad can be found on pages 60 and 75 respectively.
“The Artist’s Magazine” 30th Annual Art Competition Finalist in the Professional division (2013)
- My oil painting “Grassland Harmonies” was selected as a finalist in the professional division in the Animal/Wildlife category in this prestigious international art competition. There were over 6000 entries among 5 categories worldwide in the 2013 competition. My name and hometown was published in the December, 2013 issue of The Artist's Magazine. An accomplishment that I am truly proud of as being selected as a finalist competing at a professional level in this international competition at the age of 23.
Rose Margaret King Merit Award (2008)
-An award of 2,200 dollars towards my post secondary education. The awards were given out to students who had volunteer experience and had contributed to their community
National RBC Financial Life Skills Scholarship (2008)
-I was selected as the male winner of the western provinces in Canada for this award. It was a scholarship for 2,008 dollars for my post secondary education. The scholars were selected based on set career goals, volunteer experience, and community involvement.
National 2007 Robert Bateman “Get to Know” Art Contest (2007)
-I was selected as the winner of my age group for the contest with my oil painting. My work was featured in the 2008 “Get to Know” calendar and on items and in wildlife magazines sponsored by the “Get to Know” program.
2010 Print of “Eastern Red-tailed Hawk” Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
2010 Print of “Autumn in the Parkland” Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
2008 Print of “Majestic gold, Golden Eagle” Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
2008 Print of “Ruddy duck” Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
*All donations to Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) are auctioned off at DUC events in order to raise money to help conserve and protect Canada’s wetlands and the creatures within them.
2011-2013 Taxidermy mounts to Lakeland College, Vermilion Campus
-Northern Saw-whet Owl -Green-winged Teal
-Greater White-fronted Goose -Northern Pintail
-Northern Pocket Gopher -Ross's Goose
* Taxidermy mounts are of professional quality, not study skins and were donated for the College's wildlife collection to provide specimens to help students with their wildlife identification skills which will become important to them for their future careers in the wildlife conservation/environmental fields.